Refurbished beach huts at Shore Road, April 2020
Last updated 23rd February 2021
Status update February 2021: The watersports concession has been awarded to Easy Riders and this brand new facility is due to open in May 2021.
As a major gateway for people visiting Poole Beaches, this project signifies Shore Road’s importance as the starting point of the promenade around Poole Bay by:
- Creating an attractive plaza with new seating and improved signage, offering a greater sense of arrival and welcome to the area.
- Refurbished toilets and showers
- A new beach office, watersports centre, and extended catering kiosk
- New and modernised beach huts
Work started on 2nd September 2019; progress since then has been impacted somewhat by the Covid pandemic but is nearing completion.
The final touches will be added over spring 2021 with the installation of stone benches and rock art.
Works progress gallery
Latest pictures 9th October 2020
Coastal grasses and flowers have been planted in the new beds at the entrance to the promenade and the beach
5th August 2020
Latest progress includes new cycle parking (we have increased the number of hoops from 10 to 20), and planters are being refurbished with Purbeck stone. Coastal grasses and flowers will be added in September when the planting season begins.
9th June 2020 – Shore Road kiosk is now open with social distancing measures in place
20th April 2020
22nd March 2020
2nd March 2020
13th January 2020
17th October-12th November
Developing the project - the timeline
In February 2018 Simon Morgan of Morgan Design Studio was appointed to look at architectural design improvements to the existing buildings at Shore Road to reinvigorate this area. Our design brief included finding creative solutions to operational issues such as waste collection.
In the meantime preparations were made:
- February 2018 Scottish & Southern Electricity completed works to improve the power supply to Shore Road.
- February 2018 Planning permission was granted for Change of Use of the Beach Station to Ice Cream Kiosk (Planning Application APP/17/01898/F for details).
April 2018 The new ice cream kiosk is now open at the Beach Station. The Ranger Service will operate from a temporary base at Shore Road during 2018, prior to a permanent office opening in spring 2019.
Proposed plans were ready by late spring 2018, and a period of consultation followed:
- May & June 2018 – public engagement The proposed plans were shared with stakeholders and residents with feedback helping to shape the Planning Application submitted in August.
- August 2018 – formal consultation Planning Application APP/18/01039/F was made available online with comments invited by 8th September.
Planning permission was granted on 26th September 2018:
- November 2018 Tender for construction issued
- July 2019 Stepnell Ltd appointed as the main contractor
Works started on site 2nd September 2019
Public Engagement 2018
Thank you to everyone who shared their views with the Design Team at the engagement drop in day, via this website or at the comments box at Sandbanks Beach Office.
Your feedback helped the Design Team to shape the final designs represented in the updated plans (above) and a tender for construction based on those plans. Here’s a summary of how your feedback has influenced the project:
|Main concerns highlighted during public engagement:||How this feedback has been used to shape the final designs:|
|Size of the club room||Increased size of facilities accessible to clubs|
|Provide separate male & female changing rooms||Changed from unisex to separate male & female changing rooms|
|Sheltered seating with a back rest||Moved sheltered seating to south facing view and added back rests to plaza seating|
|Suitable planting||Added planting|
|Location and number of cycle racks||Improved cycle facilities|
|Improved beach shower(s) with taps||Increased shower provision|
The beach & promenade in 2018
Also at Shore Road seafront:
New Beach Huts at Shore Road East
- At Shore Road East 12 beach huts (nos 73-84) have been refurbished and a first floor extension built above, with 6 standard huts and 2 premier beach huts. These premier huts both have an L shaped balcony.
- Further details and progress pictures at the Shore Road East project page